Quotes from The Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney:
"Have you realized," preacher David Martyn Lloyd-Jones once observed, "that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself?"
"The gospel," writes Jerry Bridges, "is not only the most important message in all of history; it is the only essential message in all of history. Yet we allow thousands of professing Christians to live their entire lives without clearly understanding it and experiencing the joy of living by it."
"Some might find it surprising that I would teach a nine-year-old about God's wrath toward sin. But I find it surprising that any loving person would withhold this truth from another person they love."
I resisted the urge to quote the whole book on my blog. :) You should read it, though, really. It's very short and concise and simple to read. But it's a profound truth.
I have learned something about myself recently. I am a legalistic person when it comes to my own salvation. I find it easier to try to earn God's favor than to just accept that He purchased that favor for me on the Cross. And, consequentially, I find this misunderstanding of mine spilling over into relationships I have with the people I love the most. I have heard these truths dozens of times, even taught them, but until recently...it didn't really sink in that I haven't grasped the finished work of the gospel. And I'm still trying to roll around in that truth so that I can just soak it up and let it permeate to the deepest, darkest parts of me.
You know, the truth is, it already has...it's just a matter of me realizing it and living like it. Does that even make sense? If you know my past, you'll understand better why it's hard for me to grasp this. I went on a little trip this weekend and everything I went through in the height of my rebellion came flooding back - and that condemnation that is not from the Lord came flooding back. Can I tell you of the kindness of God to give me a husband like Sylas who just listened and poured out forgiveness and kindness and patience all over me??? He's amazing. And I mean that with all my heart. Pray that I will live like it...and learn to accept his forgiveness the way I'm learning to accept Christ's. And that, in turn, I would forgive and live in the freedom Christ purchased for His Saints on the Wonderful Cross. Pray that I would be still in my heart and that, in the words of my dear brother Ryan, I would "allow the Cross to speak peace to my heart."
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride
See from his head, his hands, his feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did ever such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown
O the wonderful cross,
O the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die
and find that I
may truly live
O the wonderful cross,
O the wonderful cross
All who gather here
by grace draw near
and blessYour name
Were the whole realm of nature mine
That were an offering far too small
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
The Wonderful Cross, Chris Tomlin style (sorry Kari) ;)
1 comment:
sweet words of encouragement. I love ya Shea!
Post a Comment