Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Bridges and Tripp :)




I got 2 new books in the mail today. I ordered them from Amazon.com. I LOVE amazon!

This will make two posts for today and countless emails....but I haven' t been able to eat for 3 days because of a stomach bug....so I don't have much energy. And reading and blogging don't take much energy. :)




Book #1: Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands People in need of change helping people in need of change ~ Paul David Tripp

I have only read the preface and Chapter One but I can highly recommend it. Here's a quote as a tease:

"But consider this: we could never hire enough paid staff to meet the ministry needs of the average local church. The "passive body that pays the professionals" culture of the modern evangelical church must be forsaken for the ministry model God has so wisely ordained. To that end this book has been written."



I must add that the book is written in the positive sense in regards to that quote. He is equipping those who are kingdom-minded and who desire to be an instrument to bring about righteousness in themselves and others.



Book #2: Respectable Sins Confronting the Sins We Tolerate ~ Jerry Bridges

Though I have never read any of Bridges works, I can tell you that I love this man. I have read countless quotes full of insight and truth....I cling to every word. I have only read the preface of this book but I want to include a quote:

"The motivation for this book stems from a growing conviction that those of us whom I call conservative evangelicals may have become so preoccupied with some of the major sins of society around us that we have lost sight of the need to deal with our own more "refined" or subtle sins.

While seeking to address these "respectable" sins, however, I also want this to be a book of hope. We are never to wallow hopelessly in our sins. Rather, we are to believe the gospel through which God has dealt with both the guilt of our sin and its dominion over us."



AMEN??? Amen. You know what I love about these two guys? Every sentence they write has a purpose. There are no 'fillers'. That's why it takes me forever to get through them. I usually read one paragraph...perhaps even of the preface...and I have to pray, repent, send out an email asking for forgiveness, call Sylas and share it with him, and give thanks to anyone who recommended the book!!!!!!! NOt literally...more of my time is spent marking the books up. I'm sure that drives Sylas nuts because when he reads it he gets my notes as well.

One more thought...I just love how Biblical, theologically sound books always start with the gospel. I'm learning each day how vital that is to life and to sanctification. Both of these books, of course, do just that.

The wind is blowing here like crazy...a cold front is coming in!! That means it might get below 80 tomorrow!! I wish I could curl up in a recliner and read all night. HA!

4 comments:

Jamie Butts said...

I love this book! I'm in the middle of the UNTHANKFULNESS chapter. Whew.

Amy said...

Shea,
I miss you! I am doing a Bible study on Ephesians also. We should talk about it soon. The boys are adorable! Love you!!!

Amy said...

Hey Shea!
Wow, I miss you! The boys look so stinkin' cute! Aaron loves Buzz, too. I'm doing a Bible study on Ephesians also with the other Moms from Emily's school. We should talk about it soon. Love you!!!

Amy said...

Sorry about the 2 posts, I didn't think the first one went through.